For March and April 2015 I was hired as the lead editor for The Ultimate Waterman, the production was for Redbull.tv and the production company was Making Movies.
This was a full on job, onsite I was creating daily VNR content and editing a daily web clip which was to be released the following morning. We also had the travel variable which meant that we ended up going from one end of NZ to the other and back again within 2 days! This made for sleepless nights but the crew in the post production team were awesome!
Following the event I had to edit a recap piece, this was a quick turnaround edit. See this below
Prior to even starting this I had to cull all the footage that we had not had time to deal with onsite. Going through 8 days worth of 4-5 cameras per day and making selects/logging made for huge time savings in the long run. Once this was all done I started the 45 min documentary edit.
I think the most challenging thing about this edit was that we had – Red Epic/Dragon 4-5k 100fps / Sony FS7 1920×1080 25 fps and 100 fps / 5D Mk 3 watercams, Gopro 4k and HD 25 fps and 80 fps, plus we had athletes NTSC go pros which I encoded on the fly. We had the drone shooting on Djis camera in HD + a Ronin rig running a Panasonic GH4 at 4k and HD. All my editing was done in Adobe Premiere CC 2014. I was amazed at how well it handled multiple codecs/framesizes in the same sequences. Onsite I used my retina Macbook pro with thunderbolt peripherals. It blazed through the daily content but when It came time to edit the main feature I moved to my Mac Pro 5,1, it has 2 x 6 core xeon processors, 28 GB ram and a brand new 4gb graphics card with CUDA support. I also added an internal Raid 0 array so I could easily edit the RED footage raw.
This is the link to the final documentary.